Saturday February 25, 2023, at the Loews Hollywood Hotel
Five hundred production professionals will gather to celebrate the best of the best operators in motion picture, television and the industry at large. The Society honors Lifetime Achievement Awards to Camera Operator, Camera Technician, Camera Operator, Live and Non-Scripted, Still Photographer, Mobile Camera Platform Operator, Governors’, and President’s award. Purchase a seat or a table today!
Included with your purchased ticket is a hosted pre-reception, a three course sit down dinner, the Awards ceremony, a tribute book, and the after party at Preston’s in the Loews Hollywood. The event is black tie and parking is available at the Loews Hollywood; valet or self-parking at the Hollywood and Highland complex, which is attached to the hotel.
For out of town guests, the SOC has discounted room rates, $255, at the Loews Hollywood. The room block is extremely limited as this hotel is often sold out. Book now, Reservations can be made no later than Wednesday, January 25, 2023 online at: https://www.loewshotels.com/hollywood-hotel/group-society-of-camera-operators-2023
Society of Camera Operators Announce the Nominees for Camera Operator of the Year in Film & Television
The Society of Camera Operators announces the nominees for Camera Operator of the Year in the Film and Television categories.
Camera Operator of the Year – Film Nominees:
- Lukasz Bielan – Bullet Train
- Daniel Bishop, SOC – All Quiet on the Western Front
- Mitch Dubin, SOC – The Fabelmans, with Colin Anderson, SOC, “B” Camera / Steadicam Operator
- Jason Ellson, SOC – Elvis
- Geoffrey Haley, SOC – The Gray Man
- Ari Robbins, SOC – Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths
Camera Operator of the Year – Television Nominees:
- Dave Chameides, SOC – Ozark, S 4 Ep 14, “A Hard Way to Go” with Cristian Trova, “B” Camera Operator
- Sam Ellison, SOC – Severance, S 1 Ep 3, “In Perpetuity” with Stanley Fernandez, Camera Operator
- Sarah Levy, SOC – Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty, S 1 Ep 5, “Pieces of a Man” with Dominic Bartolone, SOC, “B” Camera / Steadicam Operator, Justin Cameron, SOC, “C” Camera Operator, John Lyke, Roller Cam Operator
- Gary Malouf – The Bear, S1 Ep7, “The Review”, with Chris Dame, “B” Camera Operator
- Jarrett Morgan, SOC – Atlanta, S 3 Ep 5, “Cancer Attack”
- Paul Sanchez – The Old Man, S 1 Ep 1, “I” with Hilton Goring, “B” Camera Operator
Voting members will receive an email with online voting instructions and links on January 23rd, 2023. Voting period will be open from January 23rd through February 19th, 2023, 11:30PM PT.
SOCIETY OF CAMERA OPERATORS ANNOUNCE LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD AND TECHNICAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARD RECIPIENTS
The Lifetime Achievement Awards are given in recognition of outstanding achievement by an established person within the field of film and video production. The honorees of the Lifetime Achievement Awards were nominated in five critically acclaimed categories including: Camera Operator Film and Television, Camera Operator Live and Non Script, Camera Technician, Mobile Platform Camera Operator, and Still Photographer. The 2022 recipients are:
- Camera Operator Film and Television – Don Devine, SOC
- Camera Operator Live and Non Script – Charlie Huntley
- Camera Technician – Tommy Klines
- Mobile Platform Camera Operator – Darryl Humber
- Still Photographer – Bruce McBroom
The SOC has also announced the recipients for the SOC Technical Achievement Awards are the renowned ARRI Inc. and Hudson Spider. ARRI Inc is recognized for its ARRI ALEXA 35mm Cinema Camera, the smallest fully featured ARRI production cinema camera ever. Hudson Spider is honored for its Hudson Spider Slider, a compounding slider that is 2ft in length and provides the travel of a 4ft slider.
- November 1: Camera Operator of the Year Film & Television submissions open
- November 4: Lifetime Achievement Awards nominations open
- November 30: Technical Achievement Awards submission close
- December 4: Demo Day (Technical Achievement Award)
- December 14: Technical Achievement Award Recipient announced
- January 6: Camera Operator of the Year Film & Television submissions close
- January 19: Camera Operator of the Year Film & Television nominations announced
- January 23: Camera Operator of the Year Film & Television membership voting opens
- February 19: Camera Operator of the Year Film & Television membership voting closes
- February 25: Society of Camera Operators Lifetime Achievement Awards (Camera Operator of the Year Film & Television announced live)
Sponsor the Awards
Join us in acknowledging the nominees and winners at the SOC Awards in addition to supporting The Vision Center at the Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. Become a Sponsor.